Putting TRAC to Work
  News Organizations
February 20, 2013

Report: ICE detained 800 U.S. citizens in 4 years
By Sandra Lilly

A new report using records obtained from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) found that between 2008 and 2012, ICE issued nearly 1 million “detainers,” or “detention hold” requests asking local, state or federal authorities to detain a suspected undocumented immigrant. According to the report from the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse out of Syracuse University known as TRAC, which gathers data on government activities, these detainers ended up including over 800 American citizens and over 28,000 legal permanent residents. The report also found that in more than two out of three (77.4 percent) detainers issued, the individual identified had no criminal record. Of the remaining 22.6 percent who had a criminal record, only 8.6 percent were classified as a Level 1 offense, though some records show some of those Level 1 offenders had committed traffic violations or illegal entry and not serious crimes.

Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, Syracuse University
Copyright 2013
TRAC TRAC at Work TRAC TRAC at Work News Organizations News Organizations