Putting TRAC to Work
March 20, 2019

Supreme Court Maintains Congress Granted Homeland Security Secretary Broad Power To Detain Immigrants Without Bail
By Kevin Gosziola

The Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC) at Syracuse University found, “The vast majority of individuals who in recent years were released on bond as a result of their custody hearing before an immigration judge turned up for their court case.” “During FY 2015, for example, court records indicate that 86 percent of individuals that were released from detention turned up for their court hearing when it was finally held. The remaining 14 percent were recorded ‘in absentia.’ That is, they failed to appear and the immigration judge – in their absence — granted the government’s request for a removal order to deport them,” TRAC reported. In other words, nearly 9 in 10 immigrants were showing up for their deportation hearing.

Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, Syracuse University
Copyright 2019
TRAC TRAC at Work TRAC TRAC at Work News Organizations News Organizations