Putting TRAC to Work
  Policy and Public Interest Groups
The Marshall project
September 14, 2018

Zero Tolerance Lives On
By Julia Preston and Yoland Martinez

In July, 7,445 illegal entry misdemeanor cases were prosecuted in the five federal districts along the border, 69 percent of the entire caseload there, according to government data obtained by TRAC, the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University, and analyzed by The Marshall Project. The remaining 31 percent was all the other work of the federal criminal courts along the border, including prosecuting narcotics trafficking, human smuggling, money-laundering and weapons offenses. In the southern district of Texas, where McAllen is located and the epicenter of zero tolerance, illegal entry prosecutions in July increased 318 percent from July of last year.

Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, Syracuse University
Copyright 2018
TRAC TRAC at Work TRAC TRAC at Work News Organizations News Organizations