Putting TRAC to Work
  Legal and Scholarly
Law & Society Review

Crimmigration at the Local Level: Criminal Justice Processes in the Shadow of Deportation
By Katherine Beckett and Heather Evans

In short, these findings indicate that four of five people flagged by ICE in 2011 had not been convicted of a serious crime in Washington State. Although this analysis does not include information about convictions from outside Washington State, these findings are consistent with the results of a recent analysis ofnational ICE data by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC 2013) at Syracuse University. TRAC researchers analyzed information regarding nearly a million detainers issued between fiscal year 2008 and the start of 2012. Their results indicate that more than three-fourths (77.4 percent) of the individuals subject to ICE detainers had no criminal record either at the time the detainer was issued or afterward. Among the remaining 22.6 percent of people with a criminal record, only 8.6 percent had been convicted of a crime that ICE classified as a Level 1 (serious)offense. Taken together, these findings provide compelling evidence that ICE detainers in King County and elsewhere primarily target people who do not pose serious security risks to the community. In addition to their policy relevance, these findings suggest that any impact of ICE detainers on jails stays is not a function of the uneven distribution of prior criminal convictions.....[Citing TRAC research].

Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, Syracuse University
Copyright 2015
TRAC TRAC at Work TRAC TRAC at Work News Organizations News Organizations