TRAC-Reports
Tax Lawsuits Edge Downward
(21 Feb 2014) January 2014 data from the federal courts show that the number of tax lawsuits filed have declined nearly 10 percent in the past year, and are down over 30 percent from what they were five years ago. According to the case-by-case information analyzed by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC), a total of 68 new tax lawsuits were filed in January 2014. The U.S. government was the plaintiff in nearly three-quarters (72%) of these suits. In the remaining 28 percent the government was named as a defendant.

Various federal statutes are invoked as the cause of action in tax lawsuits. The most commonly used for the month of January 2014 were 26 USC 7401 - "IRS: Tax Liability" (37%), 26 USC 7402 - "IRS: Petition to Enforce IRS Summons" (25%) and 26 USC 7403 - "Suit to Enforce Federal Tax Lien" (9%).

For the full report, including a five year timeline and top ten district rankings, go to:

http://trac.syr.edu/tracirs/latest/346/
Each month, TRAC offers a report focused on one area of civil litigation in the U.S. district courts. In addition, subscribers to the TRACFed data service can generate custom reports by district, office, nature of suit or federal jurisdiction. To start, go to:
http://trac.syr.edu/interpreter?tab=civil
To keep up with TRAC, follow us on Twitter @tracreports or like us on Facebook:
http://facebook.com/tracreports
TRAC is self-supporting and depends on foundation grants, individual contributions and subscription fees for the funding needed to obtain, analyze and publish the data we collect on the activities of the US Federal government. To help support TRAC's ongoing efforts, go to:
http://trac.syr.edu/sponsor/

Customized queries of TRAC's data TRAC FBI Web Site TRAC DEA Web Site TRAC Immigration Web Site TRAC DHS Web Site TRAC IRS Web Site TRAC ATF Web Site TRAC Reports Web Site
Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, Syracuse University
Copyright 2014
TRAC What's New TRAC