Putting TRAC to Work
  News Organizations
The Press Enterprise
April 11, 2015

Immigration: Lawyers crucial for young migrants
By David Olson


There is other pro bono legal help available to migrants, including services funded with federal and state money. But only a third of unaccompanied minors whose cases were filed in immigration court in fiscal year 2014 had legal representation as of the end of February, according to an analysis of federal data by Syracuse Universitys Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, which tracks immigration-court cases. Children with attorneys are six times more likely to be able to stay in the United States than kids without lawyers, the clearinghouse found. Only 12 percent of unaccompanied minors without attorneys whose cases were filed since October 2011 and decided by February 2015 were given permission to stay at least temporarily. The other 88 percent were ordered to leave. In contrast, courts allowed nearly 76 percent of kids with lawyers to remain in the United States.


Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, Syracuse University
Copyright 2015
TRAC TRAC at Work TRAC TRAC at Work News Organizations News Organizations