Transfers of ICE Detainees from the
Children's Village
Queens, New York

Detainees Transferred
Number last 12 months 11
Out of total detained 120
 
Percent change:
from previous 12 months 83 %
from FY 2005 -
from FY 2000 -
 
Facility ranking on transfers top 98 %

Table 1: Transfers

During the most recent 12 month period for which data are available, a total of 11 detainees were transferred by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) from the Children's Village where they had been temporarily housed to other facilities. The average stay for these individuals before their transfer was 37 days. This is a special facility for housing juveniles.

Transfers made up 9 percent of the 120 detainees who in one way or another left this facility during the last 12 months. This report focuses just on these transfers. The remaining 91 percent of individuals who departed from the Children's Village last year actually left ICE detention. These individuals were deported from the country, released under supervision while their cases was being decided, or left ICE detention for a variety of other reasons. For more information on this facility please see additional TRAC reports in this series.

This report series is based upon analyses conducted by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC) at Syracuse University of 3.4 million government records tracking each individual who passed through an ICE detention facility during the past decade. The most recent 12 month period for which comprehensive data are available is for April 2007 through March 2008. See About the Data.

How This Facility Ranks Nationally

Detainee transfer rankings. The Children's Village was one of 1,528 facilities that were used to house immigration detainees during the last decade, and one of 654 facilities nationwide that housed ICE detainees during the most recent 12 month period. Of these 654, there were 403 facilities that had at least 10 ICE detainee transfers last year. Excluding those facilities with fewer than 10 transfers, the Children's Village last year ranked in the top 98 percent nationwide in the number of individuals it transferred to other ICE facilities. This means that 98 percent of the locations contributed the same or a larger numbers of transfers, while 2 percent had a smaller number. See Table 1.

Average length of stay before transfer. Once detainees arrived at the Children's Village their average length of stay before being transferred on to another ICE facility was 37 days last year. Ranking facilities from longest to shortest detention stays for their transfer population, this average of 37 days placed Children's Village in the top 14 percent of all facilities nationwide. That is, for detainees who are transferred, 14 percent of ICE detention facilities have the same or longer average stays last year, while 86 percent of detention facilities had shorter average stays.

Trends in the Number of Detainees Transferred

Transfers last year. When the ICE detainee transfers during the April 2007-March 2008 period were compared with those in the previous 12 months, the Children's Village numbers were sharply up by 83 percent. During the previous April 2006-March 2007 period the facility processed 6 transfers as compared with 11 last year.

Bar chart of fymondt

Figure 1: Month-by-month detainee transfers from this facility

Longer term transfer trends. Greater detail on these long-term trends in ICE transfers from the Children's Village are displayed in Figure 1. Here the month-by-month number of transfers are graphed against the backdrop of the total detainees leaving the custody of this facility. Transfers are displayed with darker shading while those deported or released appear with lighter shading.

Fiscal Year ICE Detainees
Total Transfers Percent
1999 0 0 -
2000 0 0 -
2001 0 0 -
2002 0 0 -
2003 0 0 -
2004 0 0 -
2005 37 0 0 %
2006 20 5 25 %
2007 82 10 12 %
2008 (est) 128 14 11 %

Table 2: Detainee transfers from this facility over the last decade

Transfer trends for the last decade are summarized by fiscal year in Table 2. Year-by-year figures for the Children's Village are given for the total number of detainees as compared with the number transferred from the facility. The percent of detainees that end up being transferred from the facility is also given. (As mentioned above, the remaining detainees end up deported, released under supervision, or leave ICE detention for some other reason.) Because data for all twelve months of the most recent fiscal year are not yet available, the FY 2008 numbers (October 2007 through September 2008) are estimated based upon reporting for the first six months.

Origins and Destinations

Were these detainees arrested locally? Where did those that ended up being transferred from the Children's Village last year originate? Information on the place of arrest was not included in the available data ICE released. However, we can examine whether the Children's Village was the first ICE facility in which these detainees were held. According to ICE records, for the majority (73 percent) of these detainees, the Children's Village was the first place they were sent when they were detained by ICE. The remaining 27 percent had been transferred in from another ICE detention facility.

We can also look at how quickly they arrived at this facility after they were first detained. Again, a total of 73 percent arrived at the Children's Village at some point during the very first day they were detained by ICE. This percentage is also based on an analysis of the most recent 12 months for which data are available.

How soon did transfers occur? Nationally, the median number of days before an ICE detainee is transferred to another facility was 3 days last year. That means that half of all transfers occurred on or before the third day, while half had longer stays before they were transferred on to another ICE facility. Note that nationally the average stay at an ICE detention facility before an individual is transferred is substantially longer - 18 days. This is because while most detainees have relatively short stays before ICE transfers them elsewhere, sometimes stays are lengthy and these lengthy stays raise the average to above the median stay of 3 days.

For the Children's Village last year, the median stay before a detainee was transferred was 7 days. This is longer than the national figure. The average stay before transfers occurred was longer - 37 days - than the median stay. As noted above, this figure placed the facility in the top 14 percent among ICE detention facilities nationwide in the average number of days a detainee spent before he or she was transferred.

Pie chart of diffDCO

Figure 2: Transfer destinations during last 12 months

Where did those transferred get sent? ICE currently has great discretion about where in the United States transferred detainees are sent. For the period covered by these data, ICE divided the country into geographic regions or areas and assigned each to one of 56 document control offices or DCOs for the purpose of keeping track of detainees. Available data allow us to examine whether the transfer occurred within the same DCO or the transfer was to a different DCO. For the nation as a whole during the latest 12 months, about six out of ten transfers (59 percent) were within the same DCO, while the remaining four out of ten (41 percent) were to a different DCO.

Transfers Facility Profile U.S Overall
Profile (%)
Number Percent
Within region (DCO) 3 27% 59%
Outside region (DCO) 8 73% 41%
Total 11 100% 100%

Table 3: Transfer destinations during last 12 months

Figure 2 and accompanying Table 3 provide some comparative figures for how the Children's Village stacks up against this national pattern. Last year, 27 percent of the transfers from the Children's Village were to locations in the same region -- facilities under the control of same ICE docket control office. The majority (73 percent) of the transfers went to detention facilities in a different region (DCO).

Nationalities

Which nationalities predominate? Last year in the United States, individuals from Mexico comprised the largest number of those transferred by ICE. Some 37 percent of all transfers recorded Mexico as their country of origin. The Children's Village had a similar proportion of detainees from Mexico - 36 percent - among their transfers. However, detainees from Mexico were still the largest single nationality group among the transfers at the facility.

Nationalities Ranked in Top 10 Transfers
Total To Diff. DCO % Diff DCO
- ALL 11 8 72.7 %
1 Mexico 4 3 75.0 %
2 Guatemala 3 1 33.3 %
3 Dominican Republic 1 1 100.0 %
El Salvador 1 1 100.0 %
Guyana 1 1 100.0 %
Honduras 1 1 100.0 %

Table 4: Transfers by nationality during the last 12 months

In descending order, the other top nationalities after Mexico that made up transfers from the Children's Village last year were: Guatemala (27%), Dominican Republic (9%), El Salvador (9%), Guyana (9%) and Honduras (9%).

Pie chart of nat

Figure 3: Transfers by nationality

Out-of-region transfers by nationality. Within the nationalities that made up those listed in Table 4, the proportion transferred out of the region varied from 33 percent to 100 percent. As mentioned above, on average 73 percent of detainees transferred from the Children's Village were sent to detention locations outside the region.

More than one country was tied with the highest out-of-region transfer rates of 100 percent (see Table 4). At the other end of the range, 33 percent were out-of-region transfers for the 3 transfers from Guatemala.

TRAC Copyright
Copyright 2009, TRAC Reports, Inc.

TRAC Immigration Web Site